Press release no. 38/21 of 16. September 2021
2021 Bundestag Election: 10 days left until the election day
WIESBADEN – The Federal Returning Officer reports that just 10 days are left until the Bundestag election on 26 September 2021. This is a good reason for presenting some figures on the coming Bundestag election.
Election in Figures
- 2 elections to Länder parliaments will be held at the same time as the election to the 20th German Bundestag on 26 September 2021: in Berlin and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
- 4.6% of the persons entitled to vote are first-time voters.
- 16 Land returning officers ensure that the Bundestag election is properly conducted in the Länder.
- 25 euros of refreshment allowance are paid to poll workers on election day (electoral officers are paid 35 euros).
- 38% of the persons entitled to vote are older than 59 years.
- 47 parties will run in the Bundestag election.
- 51.7% of the persons entitled to vote are women.
- 299 constituencies make up the electoral area of the Bundestag election.
- 598 is the minimum of members of parliament to be elected to the German Bundestag in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Elections Act.
- 6,211 candidates will stand for election in the 2021 Bundestag Election.
- Some 25,000 postal ballot districts are set up for the 2021 Bundestag Election.
- Some 60,000 polling stations will be open to the voters on 26 September 2021 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Some 650,000 volunteer poll workers will help at the polling stations and with the postal ballot on election day.
- Some 60.4 million people will be entitled to vote in the Bundestag election on 26 September 2021.
More information on the 2021 Bundestag Election and statistics on all previous Bundestag elections can be found on the Federal Returning Officer’s website at www.bundeswahlleiter.de.
tel: +49 611 75-3444